Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it’s finally here – we’ve finally made it to “real” football!
So let’s dive right in to the biggest things to watch for as the Packers take on the Texans in the first preseason game of the year.
- Who sticks out on the offensive line? Billy Turner is a high-priced free agent, Eltgon Jenkins is a premium draft pick, and Lane Taylor has the most experience here – who will be the odd man out of the starting lineup at guard? Also, with Jason Spriggs gone, who will be the backup tackles?
- How do Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage play off each other? Brian Gutekunst took aggressive measures this offseason to shore up the roster and a new safety tandem was one of the big changes. Savage missed a lot of camp, but this will be an opportunity to see how these two complement each other in a game setting. The defense has given up a ton of big plays since Nick Collins’s tragic injury in 2011, and the safety play has been a huge reason why. This tandem could change that.
- How will Rashan Gary fare in live padded contact? He’s the highest pick the Packers have had in a decade, and a controversial one to boot, complete with an injury red flag. He had a reputation for not finishing in college, but he was also frequently double and triple teamed. That should happen a lot less in the pros, so it will be exciting to see how he performs and how his sholder holds up.
- What’s gonna happen with Danny Vitale? Fullbacks get a lot of action in a LaFleur offense and Vitale has been seeing plenty in camp. He could be used more than any fullback in recent Packers memory, especially if Aaron Jones’s injury lingers.
- Which receivers will make plays? Davante Adams will be on this team. Maybe he shouldn’t even play, because the competition is wide open with the recent releases of Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. There are a lot of guys battling it out for WR2 and WR3, as well as WR4 and WR5… maybe down to WR 6 and WR 7… Geronimo, MVS, EQ, J’Mon, Kumerow, Trevor Davis, Shepeherd, and Lazard could all make the team or be cut without surprising me. Teo Redding and Jawill Davis could surprise as well.
- What about the new offense? What about how the front 7 will shake out and generate pressure? Don’t get too excited. I think this offense will be loaded of surprises and the defense will be chock full of exotic, intimidating looks, but I don’t think we’ll see any of it in the preseason.
- Lonnie Johnson, Jr. Just curious to see if he plays… and what happens if he does…
Let’s kick back, hope for health, and enjoy watching how this team gels as they start a new era of Packers football!