Imagine how great it would be if you looked back at your teams draft history and saw that your brilliant GM grabbed the following players over the last decade:
- 2018 – Darius Leonard, All Pro Linebacker
- 2017 – JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pro Bowl Wide Receiver
- 2016 – Xavien Howard, Pro Bowl Cornerback
- 2015 – Landon Collins, All Pro Safety
- 2014 – DeMarcus Lawrence, Pro Bowl Defensive End
- 2013 – Darius Slay, Pro Bowl Cornerback
- 2012 – Bobby Wagner, All Pro Linebacker
- 2011 – Rodney Hudson, Pro Bowl Guard
- 2010 – Rob Gronkowski, All Pro Tight End
- 2009 – Max Unger, All Pro Guard
Sadly, your GM didn’t do this, but odds are pretty high that he could have.
All of these guys were drafted in the second round. Sure, the higher you pick, the more likely it is that you have the option to grab a stud, but the second round has plenty of opportunities too (which is another reason why we shouldn’t be so quick to package these picks together to move up).
As I’ve said many times: It’s not about drafting high, it’s about drafting well.
Let’s remember this on April 26th.
Check out Packers Draft Central for all our 2019 NFL Draft coverage!