Predicting the draft is fun and difficult. Here at PFTW, we pride oursleves in doing a pretty decent job at analyzing the prospects to see who we think would fit the Packers. Our crack team of finely-tuned scouts (consisting of Andrew) pretty much nailed the 2017 draft and this year, the “team” had a pretty good showing again.
Let’s look pick by pick to see how we fared:
- 1. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville,18 – PFTW had him as a first round target of the Packers and that worked out pretty well.
- 2. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa, 45 – PFTW had him as a second round target of the Packers – bingo!
- 3. Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt, 88 – PFTW had him as a 5th round target of the Packers. Clearly, he went a little higher than we thought. We knew he was a Packer type and even listed him as “one of [our] targets for the whole draft.”
- 4a. J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri, 133 – This was a controversial pick for PFTW. We had him pegged, then took him off the board when he ran a 4.6 at the combine, feeling it was too slow for the Packers to draft. We definately thought he was a fit for Green Bay and when he improved his time at his pro day, that became the case.
- 4b. Cole Madison, G, Washington State, 138 – This was the earliest pick we didn’t see coming to Green Bay. There were other mid-round linemen we thought they would take first.
- 5a. JK Scott, P, Alabama, 172 – Come on, you weren’t serioulsy expecting us to preduct a punter, were you?
- 5b. Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, South Florida, 174 – PFTW believed the hype that he would go with the Packer’s last pick in the 7th, he just went a little higher.
- 6. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame, 207 – We had him as a 5th round target for the Packers and they got good value here.
- 7a. James Looney, DL, California, 232 – 7th rounders are a crapshoot for sure, we tried to limit the names we put on the board and did not get this one.
- 7b. Hunter Bradley, LS, Mississippi State, 239 – Seriously, we didn’t predict the punter and we definately didn’t see the long snapper coming.
- 7c. Kendall Donnerson, LB, Southeast Missouri, 248 – No, we didn’t predict who they could take after selecting a long snapper with 3 torn ACLs.
It’s hard to predict who would go with three 7th rounders and after what Justing Vogel did as an UDFA last year, we didn’t see a punter coming. Other than that, we did a pretty good job pegging guys for the Packers two years in a row.
We hope you enjoyed our draft coverage this year. You can review it all the predictions and analysis at Draft Central.