- With the loss of Morgan Burnett, I think the only guy they have to play strong safety is Josh Jones. I still really like Josh Jones. I’m really looking for him to make the year 2 jump. His versatility and skillset is awsome.
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has the distinguished position to be the most disappointed I’ve ever been with a Packers player. It’s not like he’s worthless, I just expected him to be awesome last year, and he clearly was not. It was embarrassing. With a new defense, I’m really hoping he buys in a plays up to his potential.
- Kentrell Brice also disappointed a bit last year too. He was a bit of a project, but he certainly has flashes. If he finds consistency, watch out.
- Jermaine Whitehead and Marwin Evans are guys that I like to compete for a job, but I’d really like to find someone better than both.
- With Josh Jones not being a starter and Ha Ha coming off a bad season, the Packers have serious questions at the position. I’d like to bring some talent in, but expecting a rookie to have an immediate impact is asking a lot.
There are two stud safeties in this draft that both have to be in play with the Packers first pick. They are clearly (and rightfully) very interested in the versatile Derwin James. Minkah Fitzpatrick is also like a coach on the field. With Ha Ha back there, that sounds like an AWESOME addition. While I wouldn’t want to pay the price to move up for these guys, if the Packers got either at #14 I would be ELATED.
Justin Reid intrigues me, but I’m not comfortable with the Packers using their 2nd on him. I kind of feel the same way about Ronnie Harrison in the 3rd. MAYBE, but I think there are better values in the draft. I like both, I just don’t think I’m willing to spend what it will likely cost to get them.
In the 4th, I like both Quin Blanding and Jesse Bates.
In the 5th, I’d be very happy to use a compensatory on Siran Neal.
In the 6th, I think both Trayvon Henderson and Jeremy Reaves should get strong consideration.
And, lastly, I’d chuckle if the Packers picked Troy Apke in the 7th. It would be like the Jeff Janis of safeties. All talent, but just isn’t that good. C’mon coach, stop being stubborn!
For our complete draft coverage, please visit our 2018 Draft Central page.